In this two part series, I will be exploring how mind-body medicine supports women in creating the family and life they've always wanted. Mind-body medicine treats the whole person: your mind, body, spirit and energy system. This is essential, as the answer to fertility difficulties sometimes lies beyond the physical body.
Part I Why Mind-Body Medicine is Essential for Fertility discusses the role emotions, thoughts and hormones play in fertility. Part II will explore the broader concept of a fertile life and how in turn this promotes fertility.
Imagine yourself as an intricate pattern of connecting lines, such as a web. Each silk thread is a different aspect – your thoughts, emotions, hormones, nutrients, neurons, organs, glands – the list goes on. Your energy system flows though each of these threads. Energy flows where intention goes so if there is stress or dis-harmony in one connection, then it affects the whole system. The web becomes weak. It is crucial then, to look at the whole person and not just the physical body!
Does it sometimes feel like you've tried everything to get pregnant? Or are you at the beginning of your fertility journey and wondering if all is in place for a healthy pregnancy? Perhaps you're pregnant and wanting to prepare for the birth and life after your baby arrives?
When planning for a baby, most women take into consideration key factors in their lifestyle such as: what they're eating, how much they're exercising and if they need to quit smoking or reduce their alcohol consumption. These areas are widely recognised as crucial to a healthy pregnancy and baby. However, the role of emotional and mental health in promoting fertility is often overlooked. Below are some examples of other aspects affecting fertility for your consideration:
● Stress hormones are your fertility enemy. In 2009, researchers at the University of California discovered several damaging interactions between stress hormones and fertility hormones. When you are stressed, anxious or depressed, hormones are released into your body that disturb your ovulation, sperm count and desire for sex.
● The yogic-Chakra system penetrates through your endocrine (hormonal) system. By checking in with each of the chakras you are able to gain insight into what areas of your life you need to pay attention to.
◦ The Crown Chakra penetrates through your hypothalamus which is at the top of the chain of messages within the brain down to your endocrine glands. It is the spiritual aspect of your life and whether you and on your unique path.
◦ Second in line is the pituitary gland which amongst others secretes oxytocin (intimacy and childbirth) and prolactin (breastfeeding) and penetrates through the Brow Chakra. What is your perception of your inner and outer worlds?
● Within your energy system, a balanced Sacral Chakra is key to the successful making of a baby. The Sacral Chakra penetrates through the ovaries and gonads. Surprise, surprise – the Sacral Chakra is all about your emotional self. Questions to ask yourself and your partner are: Am I expressing my emotions? Am I accepting my emotions? Am I a victim to my emotions? Do I need to let go?
And remember, it takes two to make a baby, so successful fertility is both the responsibility of the female and the male!
Returning to the web metaphor; imagine being able to create well-being through healing your energy system. Your meridians and chakras hold the keys to your fertility. Mind-body medicine teaches you a lot about yourself and gives you the power to heal and create the life that's waiting for you.
Book in with Kate Pamphilon, our resident kinesiologist, for help with any aspect of fertility, pregnancy, labour and birth.