Lemons are one of nature’s little inexpensive miracles that possess many health benefits. The Ancient Egyptians believed that drinking and eating lemons was an effective form of protection against poisons. Research has now confirmed that their belief was correct! Lemons have been used for thousands of years not just to flavour dishes but also for their health and medicinal properties.
Below is a list of the amazing benefits and healing properties of this small yellow fruit:
- Immune system: being a citrus fruit it is excellent in fighting infections, and has antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties. It has also been reported to cure respiratory and breathing problems. Lemons can assist in breaking a fever by increasing perspiration.
- Anti-carcinogenic: research has proven that lemons can reduce the risk of breast, colon and prostate cancer. Lemons are high in antioxidants which assist in deactivating any free radicals throughout the body.
- Blood purifier: lemon acts as an efficient and safe blood purifier. It can treat diseases such as cholera and malaria due to this purifying property.
- Skin: lemon is excellent for the skin as it produces a glowing effect if used daily. Being high in Vitamin C it is perfect for protecting skin. It acts as an anti-aging remedy for wrinkles, and diminishes blemishes and blackheads. It can also be used on burns as it acts as a cooling agent. Lemon can reduce pigments and lighten the hair and skin.
- Digestion: having half a lemon squeezed into a glass of warm water every morning before food can assist in clearing the digestive system and purify the liver. Lemon water also helps minimise nausea, heartburn, parasites, indigestion and bloating. It is also good at regulating the bowels for those who suffer from diarrhoea and constipation. It helps to digest food because it is a liver tonic and assists the body to produce more bile.
- Teeth: lemons can cure bad breath, whiten teeth, stop bleeding gums and assist with the pain associated with tooth aches. Lemon water also makes an excellent mouthwash as it removes plague and strengthens enamel.
- Weight loss: lemon is excellent for weight loss by speeding up the process. Studies have shown that having a glass of lemon water every morning before breakfast lowers body weight. It can lower blood pressure and increase good cholesterol in the body.
- Rheumatism and arthritis: lemon is a diuretic and helps to flush bacteria and toxins from the body. It has also been shown in research to cure arthritis and osteoporosis. The reason for this is because even though it is acidic, lemon becomes alkaline in the body. Arthritis can only be present in an acidic internal environment. So by consuming mainly alkaline food such as lemons your risk of developing arthritis is reduced.
Another interesting fact is that lemons have been proven to be a blessing for mountaineers. In the cases of insufficient oxygen and difficulty in breathing lemons come to the rescue. Edmund Hillary, the first man to put his foot on the top of Mt. Everest, has admitted that his victory over Mt. Everest was greatly due to lemon.
Until next time, Live Well everyone!