Many of us may have heard of them in passing, some of us may take them religiously and other’s may not yet be aware of the amazing benefits of Super Greens. So for those of us who aren’t quite sure what Super Greens are, or those who may want to know more here is the lowdown. There are four major Super Greens; two of them are actually grass and the other two are algae (yes, that may not sound appealing to you…yet). All Super Green contain extremely high levels of chlorophyll which is the substance in plants that makes them green. They also contain vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
Chlorella is a single-celled algae that grows in fresh water. Scientists have determined that it emerged about 2 billion years ago and was the first plant with a well-defined nucleus. However, because it is a microscopic organism it was not discovered until the late nineteenth century.
- Repairs nerve tissues
- Increases energy levels
- Enhances immune system
- Normalises blood sugar and blood pressure
- Improves digestion
- Promotes healthy pH levels in your gut, which helps good bacteria thrive
- Removes potentially toxic heavy metals (such as mercury) from your body
Spirulina is also a single-celled freshwater algae that is blue-green in colour. When looked at underneath a microscope it appears as long, thin blue-green spiral threads. Its taste and odour are similar to that of seaweed. They range in shape from a single microorganism to giant kelp spanning over 120 metres in length.
Spirulina is often deemed the most nutritionally complete of all food supplements, containing a rich supply of many important nutrients, including protein, complex carbohydrates, iron, and vitamins A, K, and B complex. It also has a high supply of carotenoids such as beta carotene and yellow xanthophylls which have antioxidant properties. It is also rich in chlorophyll, fatty and nucleic acids, and lipids.
Barley grass comes in loose powder form or tablets. It is made from the grounded up leaf of the barley plant. Both Barley Grass and Wheatgrass are from the grass cereal family.
- High antioxidant properties
- High levels of Omega 3 to promote brain health
- Alkaline food which keeps the pH levels in the body at normal healthy levels
- Helps maintain a healthy digestive tract and promote good bacteria
- Contains enzymes which play a vital role in the chemical functions of our body
- Has many vitamins and minerals including B1, B2, B5, B6 and B12, beta carotene, potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, phosphorus, manganese, and folic acid
Wheatgrass is a complete food grown and made from wheatberries, which is the seed of the common wheat plant. Wheatgrass is harvested when the grass is at its nutritional peak and has an extremely high concentration of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, living enzymes, chlorophyll and phytonutrients that can’t be found in the mature wheat plant. At this dark green leafy stage of growth, wheat grass looks similar to common lawn grass.
- Increases red blood-cell count and lowers blood pressure
- Stimulates the thyroid gland
- Restores alkalinity to the blood
- Is a powerful detoxifier, and liver and blood protector
- Fights tumors and neutralizes toxins
- Contains beneficial enzymes
- Externally applied to the skin can help eliminate itching almost immediately.
- Will soothe sunburned skin and act as a disinfectant
- Works as a sleep aid
- Neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury, and polyvinyl chloride.
- Offers the benefits of a liquid oxygen transfusion since the juice contains liquid oxygen
- Restores fertility and promotes youthfulness.
So if you haven’t already; go Green and soak up those super benefits of these amazing algae and grasses. If you are looking for a high quality product Live Well sells Vibrant Health Green Vibrance, which includes all the above mentioned super greens!
Until next time live well everyone!