Oil pulling, when most people hear this they assume you are talking about something to do with mechanics or your car. However, oil pulling is actually an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for oral health and detoxification. It involves the use of pure oils as agents for pulling harmful bacteria, fungus and other nasty organisms out of the mouth, gums and throat.
The practice of oil pulling
The most effective oil pulling is done by placing around a tablespoon (you can start off with less and work your way up) of cold pressed organic oil into the mouth, and then swishing the oil around the mouth for approximately 10-20 minutes and then spitting it out. The longer you can hold the oil in your mouth the better.
Research has shown that organic cold-pressed sesame oil is the most effective. Although other oils such as extra virgin cold pressed coconut, sunflower and olive oil have been used with success as well. It is recommended even alternating oils every couple of days in order to get the full benefit. Putting high quality organic oils into the mouth has a multi-effect outcome:
- First, the oils mix with the saliva, turning it into a thin, white liquid
- Lipids in the oils begin to pull out toxins from the saliva
- As the oil is swished around the mouth, teeth, gums and tongue, the oil continues to absorb toxins, and usually ends up turning thick and viscous and white
- Once the oil has reached this consistency, it is then important that you spit it out immediately so the toxins are not reabsorbed
What are the benefits?
A variety of scientific studies show the success of oil pulling therapy. One study has proven that oil pulling with sesame oil can boost overall oral health. Particularly, using sesame oil as an oral health agent helps to reduce the amount of germs in teeth plaque and mouth saliva. Scientists also believe that the lipids in the oil not only pull out bacteria, but stop bacteria from sticking to the walls of your oral cavity as well.
Another interesting find is the ability of oil to cleanse out harmful bacteria, as well as reduce fungal overgrowth. These oils also possibly help in cellular restructuring, and are related to the proper functioning of the lymph nodes and other internal organs.
The benefits of oil pulling for oral health include:
- Overall strengthening of the teeth, gums and jaw
- Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
- Prevention of bad breath
- Potential natural remedy for bleeding gums
- Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
Going beyond the mouth to find even more benefits
Ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners strongly believed that oil pulling could assist with more than just diseases of the mouth and throat. It is believed that these oils help the lymphatic system of our bodies remove harmful bacteria and promote healthy micro-flora to ensure we have a healthy internal environment. Due to this, oil pulling has been used as a preventative health measure for a wide variety of health conditions.
Other benefits of oil pulling for our overall health include:
- Migraine and headache relief
- Correcting hormone imbalances
- Reducing inflammation of arthritis
- Aids in the reduction of eczema
- May reduce symptoms of bronchitis
- Helps support normal kidney function
- May help reduce sinus congestion
- Some people have reported improved vision
- Helps reduce insomnia
- Reduced hangover after alcohol consumption
- Aids in reducing pain
- Reduces the symptoms of allergies
- Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms
With so many benefits why not give it a try and discover why it has been a popular and successful therapy for thousands of years.