When it comes to anxiety, nutrition can make a huge difference to your resilience and wellbeing. That means your diet, along with carefully chosen and professionally prescribed supplements, are key tools for reducing the symptoms and the effects of anxiety in your body and mind. Below is a summary of what your brain and nervous system are craving when you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety.
- Mood, wellbeing & relaxation of the nervous system.
- Also needed for activation of B vitamins & vit D + decreases lactate in system
Dark, leafy greens; whole grains e.g. brown rice, quinoa, oats; nuts & seeds e.g. almonds, cashews, sesame; eggs; legumes e.g. beans, lentils; avocados; bananas; brewer's yeast.
- Nervous system health & function + necessary for brain chemistry production.
- Many anxiety symptoms are associated with vitamin B & Magnesium deficiency .
- Deficiency in B & Magnesium also increases lactate in blood;
- Note: B vitamins + Magnesium both feed the & relax the nervous system
Dark, leafy greens; whole grains –brown rice, quinoa, oats; nuts & seeds; legumes e.g. beans, lentils.
Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)
- Healthy nervous system function (protects & nourishes).
- Necessary for nervous system transmission (communication between nerves/brain)
- + Healthy mental/psychological function including mood (EFA therapy is highly beneficial in treatment of anxiety & depression)
Avocado; cold-pressed oils (especially olive and sunflower); oily fish (salmon, sardines, trout and mackerel); nuts and seeds.
- Rule of thumb: 1g protein per 1kg of body weight, per day
- Protein provides us with amino acids (building blocks) that are the precursors (needed substances) to produce the brain chemistry we need
Leanmeat, fish, eggs (try to get organic & free-range where possible); legumes e.g. beans, chickpeas, lentils; nuts & seeds…
Try to have protein as a part of every meal/snack, and you will notice a difference! J
- Smooth, sustained energy release; Balance blood glucose; High in essential nutrients & fibre.
Whole grains e.g. brown rice, quinoa, oats; dark, leafy greens e.g. silverbeat, kale, bok choi, lettuce; sprouts; vegetables (root vegies like Pumpkin, carrots, turnips, Swede, sweet potato are esp. grounding in anxiety!); Sprouts (nutrient powerhouses! Loaded with essential nutrients e.g. vits, mins, phyto(plant)chemicals, anti-oxidants..)
REMEMBER, OUR BRAIN & NERVOUS SYSTEM ARE LIKE PONDS WE NEED TO KEEP TOPPED UP!