Managing the madness
Managing the Madness is a six week Mindfulness Meditation program to help people in Canberra reconnect with their inner balance and peace of mind.
Next course begins: Monday 1st of May 2017
In a small group, you can learn to:
- Gain a new perspective on stressful situations
- Build skills to manage stress
- Consciously respond rather than react
- Engage breathing techniques for relaxation, clarity and calm
“Give peace a chance” John Lennon
For more information on Managing the Madness or to join the next available program call Live Well Spa and Wellness Centre on 6295 0400.
“Mindfulness is paying attention, on purpose, in a particular way, in the present moment, with non-judging awareness” Jon Kabat-Zinn
Research studies show meditation can effectively reduce negative symptoms of stress such as chronic pain, lack of concentration, anxiety and depression. Meditation isn’t a replacement for traditional medical treatments but it can be a useful complement towards healthy management of symptoms for greater wellbeing.
All of us experience moments of being overloaded, distracted or switching onto “automatic pilot”. We catch ourselves behaving mechanically as though the body is doing one thing and the mind is “somewhere else” and we can find ourselves not being totally present in our experiences and relationships.
When we experience ongoing stress, we can become saturated by our thoughts and our body reacts with an automatic “fight or flight” stress response. While this may be helpful in cases of extreme danger, if we remain in this agitated state for a prolonged time it can cause physical and emotional harm.
Meditation has a balancing effect to the stress response and assists to calm and restore the nervous system.
Mindfulness practice is not “switching off” the mind or “zoning out”. Rather, it means being aware of whatever passes through the senses and the mind without judgement (eg sound, sights, smells, sensations, thoughts, feelings etc). Regular practice trains us to be present for all the moments of our daily lives with less stress and a greater sense of peace.
Learn proven methods to return the manic mind to a graceful state of calm
Managing the Madness was co-created by Katrina Berg-Howard and Sal Flynn, it draws from a number of traditions and practices including the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction model developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Insight Meditation, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) and Zen Meditation.
Who should attend
- People who wish to integrate mindfulness practices into every day life for ongoing relaxation, improved self esteem and resilience
- People who recognize habitual thinking patterns and with to facilitate the self-healing process
- People wanting greater peace of mind and presence in their lives
- Pre-program consultation to understand your individual interests and needs (held one week prior to course commencement)
- 6 x 2 hr sessions supported by an experienced facilitator
- Guided instructions on mindfulness meditation practices including breathing techniques, gentle yoga and stretching, relaxation and awareness exercises
- Group discussions Weekly homework – 30 minutes practice per day is required during the course
- Four home practice meditations on CD Coursebook with relevant articles, exercises and references
- Monday Nights 7:30pm to 9:30pm
- Monday 1st May to Monday 5th June 2017
- Held at Live Well, Spa and Wellness Centre, 35 Murray Cres, Manuka ACT.
- Cost is $480.00 if paid in full upon booking. Otherwise a deposit of $100 is required to secure your place in the program with the balance payable no later than your pre-program consultation.
MEET THE COURSE PRESENTER
Katrina is the is the co-creator of Managing the Madness, a 6 week mindfulness based meditation program, to help participants to manage day to day stress and anxiety and enhance meaningful enjoyment for life.
BOOK YOUR PLACE!
Our courses do book out quickly so if you are interested in attending or would like more information please call us on 02 6295 0400 or fill in your details below and we'll reserve your place or answer your questions.