Have you ever wondered why a growing amount of women are turning to acupuncture to complement their IVF treatments?
Up to 3% of Australian babies are the result of IVF. As IVF has increased so too has acupuncture treatments used in conjunction with this treatment. More and more studies and clinical trials are accumulating to show just how successful acupuncture is for fertility and IVF.
There is a vast number of growing evidence and studies that have found that acupuncture can dramatically improve fertility rates during embryo transfer. Also of interest is that in these studies it was shown that acupuncture increased the IVF success rate in ALL age groups. Women having acupuncture with IVF treatment can increase their chances of falling pregnant by 65%. There is also a 95% increase in the number of live births.
Acupuncture is safe and has no adverse effects. It has been shown to increase the blood circulation to the ovaries and uterus. This results in an increase in the capacity for conception.
The reason why acupuncture is quite successful has been put down to the release of hormones which control and regulate the menstrual cycle, increased circulation to the uterus and stress relief. Many women find IVF a physical, mental and emotional strain, this is why acupuncture is becoming increasingly popular as a complementary therapy to improve the chances of becoming pregnant.
Acupuncture treatments can be given from one to three months prior to IVF in order to help regulate the menstrual cycle and prepare for a successful IVF course.
Stages Acupuncture May Be Useful
- Before and during the medication phase of IVF can increase blood supply to the uterus and ovaries
- After egg collection can help with the after effects of the operation. Acupuncture is also calming so it can help prepare for embryo transfer
- Clinical trials have also shown that there is up to 65% increase in pregnancy rates if acupuncture is given before and/or after embryo transfer
- IVF is often stressful with women experiencing sleep disturbances, anxiety and moodiness. Acupuncture can assist with relaxation, enhancing general wellbeing through the process of IVF
- Not to forget about male partners, acupuncture is also important to consider as an option for male fertility. Up to 50% of infertility problems are due to sperm issues. Acupuncture can assist by substantially improving sperm morphology, motility and quantity.
It may just be worth checking out acupuncture for any fertility issues or concerns you may be experiencing. With its proven success rate, why not give it a go!